Frances Andrijich and her creative team collabrated get together with DJ Mishtee for a funky disco shoot. Frances shares with us her story behind this fantastic shoot.
I have photographed Mishtee for all her major promotional pictures for posters and events for the last several years. This shoot was for a feature in STM Perth about Perth DJ’s working overseas. We chose the location Aloft Perth Hotel because it has an iconic rooftop with Perth’s skyline as the background, plus is the new “it spot” and has quirky on trend décor to reflect the young and playful feel of the shoot.
Mishtee is an Australian based, international touring DJ, with experience across Australia, Asia to the United States, South Africa and the far reaches of Mauritius. Mishtee’s eclectic range of genres and performance abilities is what allows her to play to such a range of events and crowds. She has a mix of street cred and polished professionalism that sets her apart from other DJs.
The intent was to create the feel of a performer hence the mirror shot which is strong but sexy. I used theatrical dramatic lighting for the photographs so as to reflect a star quality look. As DJ’s are the new rock stars, this was a very much intended to be a glamourous shoot.
It was a creative collaboration between the stylist Paul O’Connor, hair and makeup artist Hendra who I have worked with for over 25 years. We have worked on major campaigns together as well as fashion shoots. We are a tight nit team who feel comfortable with each other and work cohesively as a unit. Initial discussions about the shoot with the stylist led to the looks that were put together. We all agreed as the article was using a performance action shot we would steer clear of using the more cliched use of posed headphones in the pictures.
1. Mirror ball - Aurelio Costarella beaded bodysuit POA.
2. Hanging lightglobes - Sylvester biker swimsuit , Waven Freya metallic jeans, Rummage skull neck piece all from Varga Girl. Aurelio Costarella feather jacket
3. Circle lights - Acler Florence Gold Romper and Beleza Vintage glomesh belt worn as necklace both from Varga Girl. Aurelio Costarella gold corset
4. Blue painted wall - TBY Denim jacket , Vanilla sequin bustier and Texas bandana all from Elroy. Empire Rose trackpants from Varga Girl.
5. City View - Beleza Vintage Glomesh halter top POA and Empire Rose trackpants from Varga Girl. Aurelio Costarella feather jacket
6. Mirror Reflection - Aurelio Costarella hand beaded halter top
Photography: Frances Andrijich
Model: DJ Mishtee
Hair and make-up: Hendra
Styling: Paul O’Connor
Assistant: Jarrad Russell